Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

Today is the tenth anniversary of September 11th, 2001. Ten years! And yet that morning feels like yesterday - I remember one of my first emotions being that all flights are grounded and I won't be able to fly home if a war breaks out (I was not yet married or in the least bit settled, just living a carefree life in Santa Barbara 6000 miles from my family). It was the only day I've ever lived here that I've panicked that I may not get home. I couldn't even get through on the phone most of that day.

Of course, I got off lucky; that day was so much harder on most others. A day we will one day try to explain to our daughters. But not yet, while they couldn't possibly fathom acts of terrorism. I'm still not sure I can. Friday night's Dateline special episode had me bawling. Which was why it was so inspiring to watch New York Says Thank You last night. What an amazing way to grow something great out of the tragedy of Sep 11th. If you didn't see it, watch it online as soon as you can. And get yourself one of these badges by joining Action America. All the cool kids are doing it, ha ha. But, seriously, we can all find a way to Pay It Forward! I know I will this year.

No comments: