Thursday, September 6, 2012

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry


It has been a good thing that I have given up most TV in order to read more. The downside of reading more has been that I now neglect my Blog! In the next few days, over the weekend, I will catch up with Abigail starting Kindergarten, our summer trip to the beach, and everything else that has been going on. For now though, just a book review.

This was another one sitting on my bookshelf for years, given to me by my mother. I believe it was on Oprah's Book Club in 2001 - so that's how long it's been! But it was worth the wait. I am loving these historical stories I've been reading. They are not all-history but not all-story. But the best of both married together. This novel was funny, sad (actually heart-breaking in parts), interesting, educational and compelling all at once. It was one that you couldn't put down, didn't want to end, and then reflected on for weeks after finishing it. I guess you could say it haunts you. What a great job the author did of telling a gripping story with beautifully-created characters, while teaching me so much of Indian history. Ten out of ten!

No comments: