Friday, December 17, 2010

Maternity Leave

What a whirlwind maternity leave is! It's a time-warp because your days & nights are all mixed up (up every three hours so it doesn't matter which is day and which is night) and your house is a sudden explosion of diapers, bottles, spit-up and pink gifts. I had visions of it being this wonderful time off from my crazy job to wander the shops with my new little family, wrapped up in boots & jackets, Starbucks in hand, Christmas shopping at my leisure. Ha! I was pretty quickly reminded that maternity leave is to recover and take care of a new little human. Here's Jake & I for most of it:


But of course it's also wonderful to give into it. To forget about bills, and work, and a tidy house, and Christmas shopping, and emails. To realise that there will be so few times in life where you're fully allowed to lay around in bed just soaking in your precious baby. And take your time over your morning coffee because 'morning' could be 5am or 1pm depending on said precious baby.

And to watch your daughters get acquainted - this part is magical.


To give your baby her first bath ...

... then swaddle her up & gaze at her peaceful sleeping:


Obviously, I could go on and on with the special moments on maternity leave. I think I'll just put the pictures. Here are all my favourites from this fleeting six weeks at home:















No comments: